Applications will be accepted beginning May 15, 2016.
Applications must be completed and submitted (post marked) by June 30, 2016.
Applications should be mailed to:
Joseph P. Mettner Foundation, Inc.
4014 Council Crest,
Madison, WI 53711-2927
A completed application for this scholarship includes the following:
- A completed application form.
- A résumé indicating volunteer service and legal work or public service experience prior to and since you began law school. The résumé should list the public interest or public service activities in which you have participated.
- A personal statement, not to exceed 750 words, describing your interest in and commitment to practicing public interest or public service law. Applicant may include statement about his/her background, diversity or other unique characteristics he/she wishes the selection committee to consider.
- No less than two, nor more than three, letters of recommendation supporting the candidate’s commitment to public service
- A copy of his/her law school transcript with the most recently completed semester GPA included.
- A certification of financial need provided through law school financial aid office or statement of financial need by applicant.
- A completed consent form, authorizing the JPM Foundation to use information, name and likeness of scholarship awardees.
To be considered for the JPM scholarship, each applicant must comply with the following requirements:
- The applicant must currently be enrolled as a second year full-time student in the University of Wisconsin Law School.
- The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to public interest law or public service and an interest in procuring employment in this field.
- The applicant must demonstrate a financial need, as demonstrated by certification of financial need
or statement of financial need.
- The applicant must submit all application materials, which include completed application form, résumé, personal statement, letters of recommendation, law school transcript, certification of financial need, and completed consent form.
Screening of applications will be done by members of the Joseph P. Mettner Foundation Board of Directors and Scholarship Committee. Committee members carefully consider the above criteria when selecting awardees. The committee will also consider the diversity of candidate’s background. Applicants’ residency or non-residency status will not be considered to be a factor in his or her award eligibility.
- May 15, 2016: Applications open.
- June 30, 2016: Deadline for scholarship applications for the 2016-17 academic year
- July 30, 2016: Scholarship recipient finalized